Friday, January 13, 2012

airport security

SFO is a poorly organized airport.  Recently, while flying USAir for the very last time, ever, I had to change terminals in SFO which means going through security a second time, because they like to minimize your chances of making a connection.  On the way back from winter holidays, I carried two very full carry-on items, and I wore a vest Dad gave for Christmas, replete with pockets.  Stored within these various parcels I carried, among other, less interesting things:

  • a titanium spork
  • a queen-sized quilt
  • a handful of Legos (this is actually more standard than you might believe)
  • some dried fruit and a quart-sized Ziploc bag of deer jerky (in vest pockets)
  • a climbing harness, climbing shoes, and belay device with carabiner
  • a kite with a wingspan over seven feet. (these last two items are also more standard than you might believe)
However, the reason the screeners stopped me and went through my vest pockets was this:


"Are you carrying a frog?"  "Yes.  Not that pocket.  On the inside.  That one."  A blue-gloved hand turned, showed it to the young lady watching the monitor screen, and after they had both nodded, satisfied, the frog was returned to me and I continued on my way.  Must have been a slow night at SFO.

No comments:

Post a Comment