Friday, March 23, 2012

Farewell, Oregon

Sometimes, our path is clear.
Sometimes, the right path is far less obvious.

When I came to Oregon in 2008, I hoped that it was the right choice.  I had been offered a great job, and with it came the opportunity to live in a city known for its easy access to a wide variety of outdoor activities.  I needed that change; I wanted that access--even though it would put three time zones between the people in my life and me.  I took a great leap, hoping for the best.  

Oregon is a very special place.  Every day I take the time to notice, it shows me new wonders and beauty.


This is a place full of hidden secrets,


Strange surprises,


And long history.



It is a place where 87% of all tool sheds are actually coffee houses


Or Thai restaurants.

There is splendor both towering



And tiny,




And even the areas of stark desolation hold the potential for magic.


The mountains here know that they are volcanoes, and seek to remind us that they are not dead, but only sleeping.



Even the road signs, like the people, are friendly,



And sometimes bizarre.


People here are innovative,


Inventive,
 

And tell you exactly what you’re getting—


Though they might bend the rules a little.


They use skis for entertainment


And building supplies.


Times can be tough,


But Oregonians take care of each other, and are not afraid to show their love in oddly boisterous ways.


We have to look out for each other; our environment can be so harsh that even road signs bundle up for the winter,

Yarn bomb credit: http://recorked4u.com/
And bike racks wear their thickest socks.
 

I came here because I needed a change.  I wanted to find new adventures.  I found a place where I felt I should have been all along.


My enthusiasm for the area has brought me lots of visitors in the past four years;


I’ve tried to point them towards some of the fantastic things I’ve found,




While allowing time for reflection.


Too often, we rush through life


When we should take the opportunity to hang out and enjoy the view.


I like to think that I’ve made the most of my time here,


Taken chances,


And broadened my horizons,


But it’s time for me to leave Oregon.


There are things in my life that I can’t do here, and other adventures I’d like to have.  I will miss Oregon terribly, but I can be happy knowing that I had an amazing time while I was here; it’s something most people don’t even know their lives lack.  A few are lucky enough to come here for a visit.  Fewer still—myself included—are lucky enough to live here.  I grew up in Ohio, but I’ll always be an Oregonian.  Thank you so much, Oregon, for being part of my life.

Sincerely,
Ryan




This didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, but considering how I feel about the topic, it's hard to believe I could ever do it justice.  Check out the captions, credits, and a few more signature Oregon pictures here.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun with you new adventure in Virginia, Enjoy it and good luck with everything else you do in your life. P.S hi liz

    ReplyDelete