Monday, May 21, 2012

TV lies

Over the weekend, I took a couple bike rides.  I don't really know how far I went, because the battery in my odometer is dead, and I haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell me only one replacement battery.  The first battery lasted six years.  Why would I want a two-pack?  I checked my routes on Google (they have a nice Beta feature to map routes along bike trails, but DC is a bad place to get really detailed directions that way because the trails are marked even more sporadically than the roads), and it looks like I managed about 40 Saturday and a bit less than that Sunday.  Blame for these abbreviated rides may be assigned to either my own lethargy, or my bikes urgent need for new bearings and gears.  Take your pick.

Yesterday I ventured along trails to Silver Spring, Maryland, where I was surprised to find the Discovery Channel.  They had a "sensory garden," which sounded interesting, so I stopped to have a snack and look around.

I'd like to think that a garden outside the headquarters for a cable which, although a corporate, for-profit entity, purports to be at least semi-educational, would get its own facts straight.  I let them slide on calling the garden a fractal design (it was arrayed in progressively smaller circles, though I don't know that they followed any mathematical structure)--we'll call that artistic license.  I'll even look past what I thought was a misspelling of "Crepe Myrtle," because after a quick bit of research I learned that their version may be an acceptable alternate spelling, but it still makes me itchy.

However, this is a flaw too far.

NOT Oregon Grape Holly
I'm from Oregon.  Oregon Grape Holly is the state wildflower.  I know Oregon Grape Holly.  This is NOT Oregon Grape Holly.  It's not even close.  I looked around, hoping the sign had simply been placed in front of the wrong plant, but Oregon grape holly was nowhere in that entire garden.

Myth: Busted.

No comments:

Post a Comment