Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Horticulture

Strictly speaking, this was not an adventure, but I had a good time yesterday, and wanted to tell somebody, even if it's just the vast, faceless interwebs.  Hence the unscheduled post (come back Mondays for regular updates!)

Dad had the day off, and we finally got to work on some of the things I was home to help him do.  We spent a few hours in the yard mulching piles of sticks, and I ran the weedwhacker around some lawnmower obstacles that had been bugging me for the past couple of weeks, but then we got to the fun part.

Last week, Dad and I got a tour of Meadow View Growers (they own the bus we saw on GOBA) on the day that they happened to have fruit trees on sale for half price.  Dad bought eight trees, gave one of the peach trees to my brother (who alerted us to the deal), and the rest have been sitting in pots in his backyard since, getting hose water every night.  Yesterday we finally got a chance to put them in the ground.  Dad now has two Jonagold apple trees, two apricots, two nectarines, and a larger, more mature peach tree in his yard.  I was pretty happy with it when we finished planting them, but this morning Dad looked out his window and realized that as they mature, their arrangement will block the view of the house from the road, and that made him happier.  I spent the morning picking raspberries in the yard, and I stopped to admire our work again.  When I was a kid, we used to call our house Orchard Hill, because the property had several apple trees when Mom and Dad bought it, although almost all of them are gone now.  When we bought the trees, I told Dad that Orchard Hill was coming back.  We both know that there's still a chance some of the trees won't survive, but for now, we get to enjoy the tiny, budding orchard, and it looks good.  It makes me happy to see it.  And Sunday, I'll have more obstacles to mow around.

No comments:

Post a Comment