Monday, January 20, 2014

The Alley in the Basement

I have often heard that it's good to be connected, for any variety of obvious reasons.  I've heard it--not being connected myself, I have no firsthand experience.  But I have the next best thing: I know people who are connected, and that brings us to this weekend's adventure.  I went bowling at the White House!

The number of signs leading the way through the building might make you think you are going to a much bigger space.
The Truman Bowling Alley was initially a gift to the president, installed in the White House basement.  Turns out Truman preferred poker to bowling, but he allowed White House staff to set up their own league.  Eventually, the lanes were moved into the basement of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, down this very industrial and slightly creepy hallway.

No, I did not bother looking in any of the lockers.  Wouldn't this place make a great movie set?
There are only two lanes, which was a real drag when #1 broke down, but we called the GSA and someone showed up right away to fix it.  The breakdown turned out to be a good thing for me, because the GSA lady was nice enough to let me into the mechanical room at the end of the lane to see the pin setting machine.  I was so excited, I forgot to take any pictures.  What an idiot!

The 70's-looking furniture was in very good shape.  I suspect it was made new, in Bowling Alley Chic style.
Hopefully, there aren't too many people in the group that need the same size shoes.

There are several pictures of past presidents bowling, including one of Truman bowling with wheelchair-bound veterans.  I liked the pictures of these ladies bowling.  I suspect they are first ladies, but I never met any of them, so I can't be sure.
The building in the picture is the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

I had one goal: bowl a strike in the Truman Bowling Alley.  I had a series of spares, and never managed better than that.

I think this was my problem.  Certainly not my total lack of coordination.

This stairway is one of a pair which leads up from the hallway above the Truman Alley.

The stained glass at the top is Tiffany.

I can not explain this tiny door, but I can tell you that it was not the only one we saw.  Most of the doors were normal size.

The EEOB was once home to the offices of the Navy and War Departments.  The doorknobs designate who occupied which rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment