Monday, May 19, 2014

The Dainty Dilemma

All I wanted to do was go to the mailbox and send in my insurance payment.  That's it.  The task was simple enough, but I couldn't even make it out of the building before being introduced to a unique dilemma by what I found on the stairs.  To be honest, I don't know that they were ladies' underwear.  I assumed as much, because dude underduds tend to have less lace, and generally consist of more material and provide greater coverage.  Even if we assume that the garment were intended for female use, it's still possible that it was owned by a guy in the building, for reasons I don't care to explore at this time.

What's protocol in this situation?  Wander the building like Cinderella's prince, looking for the girl who fits the dainties?  I don't see that going well.  I felt like I shouldn't just ignore them, because they were in an ideal position to be trod upon.  I finally just scooped them up with the envelope and let them slide off to hang on the post at the end of the banister and went about my day, satisfied that I had at least done something, and happier still that I avoided contact with a stranger's most intimate garment.

A couple hours later, I left the building on a new errand and saw that they had disappeared.  Suddenly curious, I went to the laundry room, where the building has a sign-up sheet for laundry times.  Nobody had been scheduled since 10 the previous evening.  The stairs had been clear first thing in the morning, when I drove The Girl to the metro.  Apparently, they fell out of someone's pocket.

I don't know what to think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment