Monday, April 13, 2015

Puttering along the Potomac

I took a lot of early-morning walks along the Potomac through the winter and early spring, and I was surprised by how much cool stuff I saw by revisiting the same stretch of very urban river nearly every day.  For instance, for six or eight weeks, I could reliably see bald eagles almost every single day I visited.  One day, I went back in the afternoon and saw two adults harassing what seemed to be a juvenile bald eagle until it dropped whatever treat it was carrying.  It was an impressive aerial performance, and once the prize was released, one of the adults deftly snatched it from the air and departed. Naturally, I didn't have a camera that day.  But sightings like that encouraged me to take the camera often, in hopes of seeing something else interesting.

The Potomac briefly froze all the way across.  I was pretty sure I could walk it, but had the good sense not to try.  A few days later, the thinner ice made strange piles that looked like volcanoes.

I spent a few minutes watching this hawk chase a squirrel through a tree.  The squirrel is what originally caught my attention; I heard it squawking at something, then noticed the hawk, which would move close enough to scare the squirrel to a different part of the tree, wait a moment, then move again, trying to herd the little rodent to a place she could attack.

If you look very closely, you can see three bald eagles in this picture.

I was amazed how patient this great blue heron was with my photography. This is not the only shot I took, but it's the best of the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment