Monday, October 19, 2015

The Old Man and the Cave

When I was a kid, our parents would occasionally take us on "mystery trips." This was the height of weekend excitement. We rarely knew what the trip was, but we always tried to wrangle information that would help us guess. What should we wear? What should we bring? Have we been there before? Often, our destination was a museum or zoo. Sometimes, it was just a nice place to hike or play outside. One of my personal favorites was visiting Old Man's Cave, in Hocking Hills. I even have a vague memory of visiting in the fall, and convincing myself (I may have had help) that it was haunted, because I love Halloween.

Last weekend we went to Detroit for a friend's wedding. On the way, we stopped in Ohio to visit The Girl's brother, who wanted to go hiking with us. I was secretly thrilled that the destination they chose was a favorite of my childhood. I had forgotten how beautiful the area is.
According to a 12 year old we met, you can tell this is a female by the eye color. Yes, I was disappointed in myself for not already knowing.

Upper Falls


I love this bridge. The portions are not connected to each other.

Old Man's Cave.

Lower Falls
The CCC carved the stone steps throughout the park--and this long tunnel leading up to the top of the gorge.

Cedar Falls
We also took this excellent photograph of her brother and his two clones. Hurray for exploiting technology!


1 comment:

  1. So glad that you got to Hocking Hills; it is beautiful all year, but fall is my favorite time there. It looks as though you had a perfect day to hike.

    ReplyDelete