Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ansels' Cave

Between Christmas and New Year's, I decided it would be fun to try a surprising change of pace, so I gave up robust health in favor of a head full of mucus and a throat full of dead hedgehog.  I like variety.  I also learned long ago in Oregon that when I feel that particular flavor of awful, cold air helps.  When I gave up on sleep around 4 AM last week, I went outside and shoveled the drive, prompting 66% of the house's remaining occupants to stagger sleepily to the door and chide me, but it was the best I felt all day.  Sledding was another attempt to get outside and breathe large amounts of chilled air.  Monday, after bidding adieu to The Girl's brother (Mr. Adventure), sister-in-law, and wee nephew, the rest of us went hiking at the Geauga Park District's West Woods, in search of Ansel's Cave and, in my case, more cold air.

We found the cave, and some ledges--that was easy enough, thanks to well-labeled trails.  Admittedly, the cave itself is not that impressive, and is currently closed to prevent the spread of White Nose Syndrome, an affliction of much-maligned flying mammals.  However, the ledges and affiliated waterfall are picturesque in nearly any weather, evoking images straight out of Tolkien.


I was also drawn, as I usually am, to snow that has stacked high, then warmed just enough to plasticize and contort into strange new shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment