Sunday, February 3, 2013

The New Project


After giving it lots of thought over the past few days, and then getting bullied all morning (and part of the afternoon) by a friend from Bend, I'd like to start writing about food.  More than I already do.  A friend once suggested that I just write a cookbook; I'm not quite there yet, but I could see posting about my culinary experiments more publicly than I already do, seeing how that goes, and maybe building that into a book in the future.

My proposed title was "The Fearless Kitchen," because I'm certain that the only reason people are impressed by most of what I make is because they're intimidated by cooking, so they're easily impressed.  I want to make cooking more approachable by showing how, with a little background, you can fake your way through an entire meal (as I do on a shockingly regular basis).  I could include tips on how to course-correct when things start to go sideways, and how to tell you're definitely on the right track already.  I envision lots of pictures, and florid descriptions of textures where pictures won't help.

Unfortunately, "Fearless Kitchen" is already taken, and they're doing almost exactly what I wanted to do.  I think.  I didn't look at the site much, because I didn't want to accidentally steal too much from them.  If you are from Fearless Kitchen, you'll have to take me at my word that I came up with this independently.  (You have to admit, it's a pretty great name, and a great idea)

Now I need a new name for the same idea.  My fallback position is "Bitter Muffin Bakery," because that's been a long-standing joke regarding my job search/cooking endeavors, but it doesn't really fit the idea of what I want to accomplish.

Want to help me name my new project?  If I really like your idea, I'll use it, but the only compensation you will ever receive is a box of baked goods shipped to wherever you are.  Contents of box are negotiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment