Monday, August 27, 2012

The Point

It's been long enough.  I should probably explain myself, eventually.

Most people don't know this is my fourth active blog project.  However, it is the only public blog project tied to my real name.  I wanted a place where I could post under my own name for two reasons, and I finally decided I could put them both under the same umbrella.

First, I love writing.  I often get ideas for books or short stories, and lately I've had more opportunity to flesh them out from inspiration to text.  I'd like to be able to share them, but until I find someone who wants to publish what I write, the responsibility for releasing these into the wild falls to me.  Admittedly, I don't share everything here--I still hold on to a small, wriggling hope that I can some day become a real writer, with a benevolent publisher, three-book contract, and fervent following, so I hold some of my best in reserve.  After all, who buys cows when there's free milk all over the internet, amiright?  Thus, I use this space to share some of my stories, and a few pastiches, but I like to think of them as bait.

Second, I love getting outside and doing fun things.  I like sharing those experiences (you may call it bragging.  I probably wouldn't argue) and encouraging other people to get outside, too.  There are some big adventures I'd like to have: through-hiking the AT and PCT, visiting Australia, hiking in Alaska, and touring Europe to name a few, but my meager budget has limits.  I found that disheartening and disappointing until I was walking through Bend one day and realized how much fun I was having looking at things within ten minutes of my apartment.  I discovered hidden treasures in my own city, and I realized I had done it before, many times.  An adventure doesn't have to be big to be worthy, or exciting, or fun.  When I was a kid, our family would often go on "Mystery Trips."  We'd pile into the car and my brother and I would have no idea where we were going until we got there.  We'd try to figure it out ahead of time, believing we were cagey and clever when we asked how we should dress or what we should bring, trying to glean information that could gain us insight into the day's destination.  We almost never figured it out until we started seeing signs or familiar territory.  I have many fond memories of those trips to museums, zoos, and parks, and I look forward to tormenting my own kids in similar fashion.  The small adventures are no less adventurous for their scope, and you can have them every weekend if you like.

In my perfect world, National Geographic would call me one bright morning and tell me that they'd like to consolidate a few jobs.  They need a gear tester for Adventure, a travel writer, and a decent photographer.  They would hand me a pack full of interesting gear, a camera, a plane ticket to some exciting new place, and a sturdy laptop or notebook.  I'd go off into the world for a couple weeks, using and abusing a new backpacking stove, sleeping bag, and travel clothing, write up my opinions on the equipment and colorful descriptions of the places I went, waterfalls I jumped, and people I met along the way.  When I returned, I could exchange my pack and a flash drive full of photos and text for a paycheck and a new set of gear.

It doesn't have to be Nat Geo; any similar gig would be fine.  You get the idea.

Since this is not a perfect world, despite what Leibniz may tell you, I'm still waiting for that job offer and book deal.  Until then, I have a place where I can post some stories, share my little adventures, and maybe an occasional bittersweet love letter.  Every adventure is worthy.  Each day can show you some small glimpse of beauty.  Find it.  Even the effort will improve your world, or at least your view of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment