Monday, March 9, 2015

Old Rag autumn

We volunteer on Old Rag in Shenandoah National Park, and we work on a two-season schedule.  In the winter, the rock scramble at the top of the mountain is often coated in ice and snow, and besides being dangerous, it's just not very popular in the coldest months. Springtime brings new leaves, lots of flowers, hordes of visitors, and our volunteer group.  We take a break during the summer, when high temperatures and thick humidity keep most visitors off the mountain.  Fall is a pretty big deal on Old Rag.  Cooler temperatures reduce the bug population, and the bald, rocky summit affords incredible views of the autumn colors throughout the surrounding valleys.

As I try to alternate between working on my book and posting about food and playing outdoors, I find old sets of pictures, which is why you're just getting fall colors posted here now, as we look toward the spring season on the mountain. Forgive me; the book has been a bit of an obsession of late.

The Girl was very proud of the lunch she packed for the day, and insisted it be recorded for posterity. This is what comes of me taking pictures of my new recipes. (those are sour cream chocolate chip cookies in the back)
Shenandoah panorama from the west side of the mountain.
I took some Legos with me to make an Announcement photo, for anyone who didn't already know.
A few trees provided bursts of color in the rock scramble.
With skies so clear, I can't resist a shot looking up through vivid leaves.



The Girl gleefully demonstrates wind strength at the summit.



No comments:

Post a Comment