Monday, March 23, 2015

I Spy: Old Rag Edition

Our Shenandoah volunteer group does a couple training weekends each year, and we spend lots of time on the mountain talking to visitors, teaching Leave No Trace ethics, and (very occasionally) assisting in rescues, but we also have one designated Fun Weekend a year.  This is an official thing, in addition to the two or three times smaller subsets of the group get together for cabin trips, snowshoeing, game nights, and the completely unrelated but jaw-dropping annual cookie swap.  In the past, I've never been able to attend the Fun Weekend, due to various schedule conflicts, and missed out on things like rappelling and the zip line, but last November we had a scavenger hunt.

I rock scavenger hunts.

My teammate and I not only found the most items on the list, but we did well enough in the Skills portion to firmly cement a first-place finish.  Some of our list items are shown below.

A bearbag, incorrectly hung.

"We were told to dress up." "I dressed up as Batman."

A stick insect. Remarkable camouflage!

Christmas fern (see how the individual leaflets look like stockings?)

A dog. (They are not allowed on Old Rag, but you're guaranteed to see them, because people ignore that rule. We saw at least four dogs that day, but only one in a pack)

We were told to find a phone booth.  There is no phone booth, so my teammate and I improvised.

A bear.

"Can you make a bear face while wearing the bear hat? We'll get extra points for that!" Not true, but worth it to get this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment