Monday, March 2, 2015

Say hello to my little friends

Since returning from my hike, my screensaver has been a constant slideshow of my pictures from the Appalachian Trail.  I think it's great, because it often reminds me of moments I don't usually dwell on.  It gives me some ideas for things I still want to add to my manuscript, but it's not always great for productivity, because I sometimes find myself sitting and staring at the stream of pictures, grinning at stirred memories.

Some of my favorite shots (and some of my favorite shots to take) are when I can get really close to a very small subject, and show detail that might be missed by someone else.  Pebbles look like boulders, moss looks like a forest, and lizards loom like dragons.  I love that.  My camera has a pretty good macro function, and I got a lot of use out of it during the hike, though there were a couple times when I couldn't get the shot I wanted because I was too busy flailing at mosquitoes.

Hoar frost
Garter snake
Frosty limb in the Smokies


This young mouse has no fight or flight response at all.
Pollen collection in Harpers Ferry
Black rat snake
A few drops of water to me; a puddle for him.

Wood frog


A spider in the Whites.
These alpine blooms are smaller than your pencil eraser.


This chick was napping in the middle of the trail.  I briefly entertained a thought of adopting her like a parrot, but instead just moved her to where she wouldn't get trampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment