Monday, March 16, 2015

Cacapon

We have friends who like to do "cabin weekends," when we'll rent a place somewhere, play games at night, and go hiking during the day.  Their ideas of hiking are often wildly different from mine, but we handle that by giving me a heavy pack and making sure I stay behind the group.  At night, of course, we feast.  This time, we also found a gorgeously-made jigsaw puzzle by Liberty Puzzles, laser-cut from 1/4" maple plywood.  I liked it so much, I bought one for Dad for Christmas.

On Saturday morning, we hiked a loop at Cacaopon State Park in West Virginia.  Some of the leaves had fallen, but there was still some good fall color, and the weather was pretty mild.

The loop took us along a ridge, then dropped back down through the forest to where we had parked.  The ridge meant we had lots of good opportunities for Summit Cookies.

The nearby hot springs have quite a history, but none of us felt like paying the admission fee to see the underground rooms hosting the springs.

There were some unique trophies in the cabin.

On Sunday, we took a little walk along the canal towpath. If we followed it far enough east, it would eventually take us back to DC.  Instead, we wandered west, mainly to check out this tunnel.  I love tunnels. Without a headlamp, this one quickly became creepy. The light you see here is all sunlight, reflected up at the ceiling from the water below.

I made a friend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry our idea of hiking is not up to your standards. At least we all agree on the feasting part, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid of this. I should have phrased that better. It is not a matter of standards at all--your idea of hiking is perfect. I really enjoy hiking with you guys! ...I just feel a little bad when you talk to someone else about joining us and ask, "You don't hike like Ryan, do you?" I don't want to be that guy! I need to learn to hike at other people's speeds, not just my own.

    ReplyDelete